Forum Member

Default Oil for oil pulling - refined or unrefined?

I am interested in implementing oil pulling into my daily routine. I do know that ALG lists recommended oils in her FFFL book, however I don't believe the book mentions whether or not the oil should be refined or unrefined. Does anyone know what should be used? I was a little overwhelmed by all of the options at Whole Foods today...Ended up buying unrefined, but then a search of the topic online yielded different theories on the refined vs. unrefined issue. What is ALG's preference?

Linda

Hello Linda, I don't remember her specifying. I know she is swamped right now wrapping up a new book so we probably won't be lucky enough to hear from her. I don't think you'll go wrong using either. No stressing over oils now, ya hear? LOL, don't want to raise those cortisol levels.
    Take Care,
    Janine
    Moderator Since May 22, 2007

Fat FLush For Life
    , BeauCle Moisturizer, Fat Flush Whey Protein

Forum members get a 10% discount at Uni Key Health by using the code "FORUM" at checkout.

My Picture Trail

Moderator and Personal Meal Planning Services

As far as I know, it does not matter...
    Linda Shapiro

Meal Planning Maven
    Custom meal plans, menu tracking and food coaching

Linda@MealPlanningMaven.com www.mealplanningmaven.com www.facebook.com/mealplanningmaven
    Celebrating 12 YEARS of Fat Flushing!

Forum Member

Janine and Sue,

Thank you for the quick responses. Yes, Janine, I probably was increasing my cortisol levels by stressing out about this!

I read something about unrefined oils having impurities that would not be good for oil pulling, so I was hoping to find an absolute answer from this forum.

I have to admit that when I first read about oil pulling in Fat Flush for Life, I thought it was very weird. I had not intended to try it at all. However, just three times into doing it, I am astounded by how much I love it. My teeth and gums already look better; my breath smells better; my painfully sensitive teeth are not as sensitive; and I'm convinced I have a surge of calmness & renewed energy after oil pulling.

Is it an absolute requirement that this be done on an empty stomach? I've read that some people feel like vomiting if they don't do it on an empty stomach. Are there any other reasons (e.g. will it be less effective if I do it after eating)? The reason I am wondering is because it is often difficult for me to find the allotted time to do it upon waking up -- I use that time to make my HLW, LLC, and do some exercise. Plus, I have four kids who talk to me all day, so finding time to swish oil for a longer period of time can be challenging.

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Linda

Forum Member

I found using the coconut oil more most palatable than say using sunflower oil. I don't gag as much but no way can I swish for 20 minutes 3X a day. I also use a small amount to avoid gaging - maybe 1 tsp. I sometimes have to spit and get another teaspoon to make it any length of time. I was surprised that it doesn't have a coconut flavor and wish it did.

I am wondering about coconut oil properties. I know it has many benefits but it is a saturated fat. Does any of it enter my system while swishing? I know that many medications are administered under the toungue and since I have a hard time keeping my cholesterol down, down want to do anything that might increase it.