PDA

View Full Version : Rebounding & Upper Back Pain

smileyjj
08-14-2005, 03:12 PM
I've been rebounding for about a week now. That's the first thing I do in the morning. However, every time my upper back hurts. Right when I begin the exercise, it hurts so much that I just want to stop, but after staying on the trampoline for about a minute or two, the pain slowly disappear, but then come again when sleeping at night. Is anyone having the same problem? or Is there something I can do to prevent this? I'm also wondering... is this because I have an inexpensive trampoline? I have the JumpKing 38 in. Trampoline ($40). Please let me know what I can do. Thanks! =)

Smiley

mompar52
08-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Hi, Smiley!

I've been using the expensive model - Reboundair - which I love. However, after about 3 days of using it, I began having the exact same symptoms. I've been on the FFP for 5 weeks now and have been trying to rebound every day at least for 5 or 10 min. I don't think it's your rebounder. It's interesting that the intense pain subsides after a few minutes - mine does, too. I was able to do the enire workout DVD that came with my rebounder yesterday, but my back still hurts periodically. I also began doing a lot of strength training this week which includes some upper back exercises. I'm hoping that this will strengthen the area so that the jumping won't hurt as much. Hopefully, someone else will come along to shed some light on this strange phenomenon. Maybe we just need an adjustment by the chiropractor.

Leanne :) :) :)

csoar
08-14-2005, 08:29 PM
[:o] Hey, this doesn't sound right. Never in all my bouncing have I had any back pain. I DID have some knee pain because - as it turns out - I was bouncing too high. The goal is more a push down rather than going for air - if that makes sense. The other thing that's come up before is that it's important to bounce [u]with shoes on</u> because otherwise your stance will be incorrect and can lead to things like shin-splints.
Do you notice the pain if you just bounce in place with NO arm or upper body movement?
What sort of bouncing are you doing - jumping jacks? twists? I think we need more info...

Toni
08-14-2005, 08:49 PM
I think many people with chronic back issues have difficulty with rebounding. I purchased a very expensive rebounder and i have difficulty with sciatic, neck, and lower back pain when I use it. Someone posted that you can stimulate the lymphatic system by bouncing on the big balls. I am going to continue to try to use the rebounder but I may just have to give it up. By the way, I am essentially at my goal weight and still have pain when rebounding. Very frustrating.

mompar52
08-14-2005, 09:46 PM
My pain is worse when my arms go up higher than my shoulders. I usually do the FFFP workout that Joannie reccommends. The pain is worse also with more aggressive bouncing. I generally cannot let my feet leave the surface of the mat. I do marching/ walking or slow jogging. Twisting moves do not make it any worse - just trying to bounce higher. It is more tolerable if I straighten up and squeeze my shoulder blades. I worry about this, though, because it doesn't allow enough flex in the knees. I am a recovered herniated disc operation survivor and the RBing doesn't bother my lower back or sciatic nerve at all. I hope someone can figure out what this problem is. I love the RB and don't want to give it up.

Leanne :) :) :)

smileyjj
08-15-2005, 03:17 AM
I rebound with my shoes on, and like Leanne, twisting moves do not make it any worse. In fact, it sometimes hurts less when doing jumping jack on the trampoline rather than just jumping up and down standing straight without any arm movements. I'm pretty new to this rebounding thing so don't know what I'm supposed to do on the trampoline. So far, I've just been doing jumping jacks and raising my arms up to the ceiling (sort of like throwing a basketball / trying to make a shot). I rebounded earlier today and now it's close to my bedtime and the upper back pain is getting a little worse than earlier. =(

D-
08-15-2005, 08:23 AM
[quote]Originally posted by Toni

I think many people with chronic back issues have difficulty with rebounding. I purchased a very expensive rebounder and i have difficulty with sciatic, neck, and lower back pain when I use it.

Yes, I am sure that many with back issues may have a challenge with RB'ing. I represent the other half. I have dealt with 2 lower lumbar degenerative discs for 14 years. Been exiled to the land of the fiery nerve down BOTH legs all the way to the tip of my toes (:([V]:() OH, too many times to count [:0][:0]! And I've gotten to know WAY too many physical therapists over the years. I am just healed of my most recent episode (May - July) and believe it or not, RB was the ONLY exercise I could do and actually TOOK the burn away [:0]!! When I was first introduced to RB a couple years ago, I said, "Not with THIS back!" But I gave it a try this year in Jan. and viola! It actuually was GOOD for my back (also got my chiropractor's seal of approval :)). The key for my back issue is to maintain the best physical health, both through nutrition (FF) and exercise. And I am fortunate that RBing is a winner for this disc-challenged FF'er!

Smiley: What was your exercise routine before RB and what is your endurance level? Meaning, how physically fit are you?? Sometimes when we start new initiatives little "sweaks and creaks" present themselves, especially, if that particular muscle or area of the body was "weak" to begin with due to something else. BUT you want to make sure that that is ALL it is! Where is the pain specifically? Between your shoulder blades? Can you determine if it is muscular?? Do you do any stretching before you workout? Is stretching new to you? Are you overly tensing up around your shoulders when you hit the mat?? Do you have real tight knots in your shoulders to begin with??

pkinsmom
08-15-2005, 12:17 PM
I wonder if you're standing with correct posture. Someone mentioned how they could decrease the pain was by standing with the shoulder blades pulled together. Since shoulder blades pulling toward each other, back straight, chest pulling up from the sternum is appropraite posture, it sounds like you're not standing correctly and when you make correction (pulling the shoulder blades together) the pain subsides.

Incorrect posture can often cause back pain (I had surgery on my lower back earlier this year and when it starts to feel sore the only way to make it stop is to correct how I'm standing). Since standing on a rebounder provides a different sensation and resistance than standing on the ground, it may be shifting your posture a bit. Being more attentive to standing correctly may help with the pain.

smileyjj
08-16-2005, 01:07 AM
Denise: I go to the gym approximately 3 times a week. I usually run on treadmill or go on the eliptical machine for about 30 mins and then do some streghth workout. I also do yoga (watching a dvd) 3-5 times a week. I didn't have any upper back problems prior to RB. The pain is exactly between the shoulder blades. That middle part (upper back area) a little below neck, that's the part that hurts so much every time I first begin rebounding. I do stretch a little before I get on the rebounder, but maybe I'm not stretching enough or not doing the right stretches? I also know that my shoulder area (top part of my shoulder & neck area), not my upper back area, tend to get very tensed because every time I go to a spa and get a massage, the massuer also tells me that it's really tight around the shoulder and neck area and they spend a lot of time loosening up the tensed muscle around that area. But this is not the area that hurts when rebounding. It's the upper back, that middle area between the shoulder blades that hurt so much. =(

Sarah... I'm not slouching or anything when rebounding. I try to keep my back straight and even tried sucking in my stomach. When I rebound later or tomorrow morning, I'll pay more attention and see how my posture is like when rebounding. I will try pulling the shoulder blades towards each other and see if it makes any difference. Thanks. =)

mompar52
08-16-2005, 07:04 AM
My pain is a little lower than Smiley's. It's a little above the bra line. I really like RBing so I just do the bounces that don't hurt and avoid the ones that do or endure the pain for short spurts. I'm hoping that the strength training for my upper back will eventually help. I, too pay attention to good posture always because of my prior lower back problems. I lift a lot of children each day and can't afford to have a weak back. If this problem doesn't subside, I may be making a visit to my doctor who is also a DO who can do chiropractic if necessary. I would appreciate any other suggestions y'all might have. ( I was able to sustain a few 20 min. and one 30 min. workouts last week.)

Thanks,
Leanne

smileyjj
08-16-2005, 01:26 PM
I think I got confused. Above the bra-line is the perfect way to describe the part of the upper back that hurts me when rebounding. I think Leanne and I are having the same pain. I tried rebounding again this morning. I tried with my shoulders pulled back and also tried rebounding with my shoulders more to the front (slight slouch where the shoulders are not straight in a line but more close to each other in the front). It hurts less when the shoulders are to the front. Does this make sense to you guys? =(....

pkinsmom
08-16-2005, 02:44 PM
I wonder if you guys are doing what's called "recruiting" and if that's causing the problems. As my Pilates instructor explains it, recruiting is what we do when muscles that aren't what we're intending to exercise are brought into play to compensate for the perceived (by us or our muscles) inability of the intended muscles to do the work.

For example, I recruit my neck muscles on almost everything. Before I knew this was what I was doing and how to correct for it, I could only do 2 or 3 crunches -- not because my abs couldn't do more, but because my neck hurt SO MUCH that I couldn't go on. With the help of my Pilates instructor, I've learned to use the correct neck muscles to support my head when doing workouts (the ones that are deep core muscles in the front and near the esophagus as opposed to those that run along the sides on the outside).

I wonder if maybe you guys are recruiting your upper back muscles in your rebounding. Are your shoulders away from your ears and relaxed or are they pulling up toward your ears as you exercise? Do you feel like you're tightening your back, shoulders, or chest either as you rebounder or even in preparation for it (expecting that it will hurt and so preparing yourself for that pain before you even start -- before my back surgery, I used to do this any time I was going to pick something up and actually made my problem worse).

Just another thought/possibility to consider. Sorry I don't have an exact answer or solution :( But hope you're able to figure it out!!!

csoar
08-16-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm wondering the same as Sarah...ie, if you are "recruiting" back muscles to compensate for chest bouncing? Let me start over...When I was at my fattest, my chest was a 40DD.[:o] Bouncing then was...ahem [:I]...an experience. In order to keep 'my girls' from trying to go into orbit while I bounced, I started wearing two (that's right, 2!) racer-back jog bras. That solution kept my chest ON my chest and solved my problem. So..how about it, ladies? Are you wearing enough chest support while bouncing?

tericalhoun
08-21-2005, 12:10 AM
I recently started RB, but I've been working up to it gradually. Took your recommendation to wear shoes and have only worked up to 10 min. so far. My knees were complaining after 5 min. so I decided it was best to take a gradual approach. Not really like me, but I think it will be worth it in the long run! :D

Anyway, after about a week of doing it my back started hurting really badly between my shoulder blades and the pain would not subside. A trip to the chiro and not RB for a few days seemed to make all the difference for me. ;) I LOVE RB and feel very energized after just 10 minutes...then I jump on the elliptical or treadmill to finish my cardio. I can hardly wait until I can RB for 25 min. straight! :)

I wish you success in getting the back pain relieved!!

Teri